Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ending HIV means fighting Homophobia....I think NOT!


I came across this particular sign on the bus I take to San Rafael....well at least that is where I always transfer to get to the Del Norte bart station where my Dad picks me up when I go back home from Santa Rosa. Anyways this sign caught my attention and got me a bit perturbed. It got me perturbed because of what the sign says "Ending HIV means fighting Homophobia." In my opinion HIV has nothing to do with Homophobia....it is wrong to suggest such a thing. HIV is a sexually transmitted disease and it anyone could technically contract HIV...not just same-sex couples. On the other hand...Homophobia is a fear of homosexuals. People are not afraid of homosexuals because they are the higher rate of people who contract HIV. Although it is really lame when their "community" posts this type of sign on a bus. It is one more reason why I agree with Bishop Cordileone about homosexuals. If same-sex marriage is accepted...if prop 8 is overturned and same-sex marriage is accepted....our society will be very different indeed. Signs like this will probably show up even more...signs that do not even make sense. Signs that focus more on same-sex couples than other things like what movie is coming out....or maybe even the latest fashion...or the latest play. I think I would much rather have that information tacked to a bus than this sort of a sign that we helping to end HIV means fighting homophobia which is not ture at all! Their "community" needs to wake up and live with the fact that as of now we are where we are in terms of what happened. Also, overturning something already passed in my opinion is one form of "cheating." It means to me that some people just cannot live with what happened and they are fighting the system. The system which is ultimately guided by fate...

No comments:

Post a Comment